Many changes have taken place this year in Fremont businesses
Friday, January 11, 2013
Gone are the former Wall Theater, Fremont Dinner Train and Hero Automotive, but new on the Fremont business scene in 2012 are Advance Auto Parts, Butler Machinery, and a second strip mall in the Deer Pointe subdivision.
The Wall Theater succumbed to the wrecking ball last January to make way for future growth.
The Dinner Train made its last Dodge County run in October before moving to Baldwin City, Kan.
Hero Automotive began the year with optimistic goals of $3 million to $5 million in sales, but by the end of 2012, the China-based radiator business at 1145 S. Schneider St. was shut down, defaulted on a $600,000 loan as part of a Community Development Block Grant and, along with company president Xinyu Li, was being sued by the city in Dodge County District Court.
Meanwhile, established Fremont businesses invested in expansions, and new companies became part of the Fremont landscape.
Advance Auto Parts opened in December at 1624 E. 23rd St. The building was erected at the former site of Whiskey Creek Steakhouse.
As the year wound down, construction in the East 23rd Street corridor included a Bosselman’s Pump and Pantry and a six-bay strip mall. Officials from Pizza Ranch said they hope to build in that area next spring.
Butler Machinery was making steady progress along U.S. Highway 30 on their first Nebraska location. The 25,000- to 27,000-square-foot building will eventually offer sales, parts and service.
And a 16-unit assisted living center specializing in memory was under construction at 749 E. 32nd St. Lamb Real Estate is building the facility.
Buck’s Shoes at 550 N. Main St., celebrated its 90th year in business, while Hoegemeyer Hybrids near Hooper celebrated 75 years. Vance Plumbing and Heating and Miller Pharmacy turned 50 in 2012.
Just U Fitness moved from the former roller skating rink at 1840 E. Military Ave. into the former Affordable Furniture building at 105 E. Sixth St.
The roller rink building became home to Creative Movement and Dance Studio. Municipal Emergency Services and the Selectel Wireless call center are also moving into the facility.
Lamb Real Estate completed construction of a second strip mall in the Deer Pointe subdivision west of the existing strip mall. Businesses, including Amor Nails and Spa and La Hacienda Mexican restaurant, opened there this year.
Anytime Fitness and Prokicks Martial Arts Academy moved out of the east strip mall at Deer Pointe and into the former Goodwill building at 2415 E. 23rd St.
Blackburn’s relocated from 746 N. Broad St. to 2160 N. Platte Ave., changing its name to Blackie’s Auto Repair and Towing, and eliminating the fuel and car wash ends of the business.
D&T Shirtified moved from 307 N. Main St. to 150 N. D St. Wilsey’s Wackey Wheels bicycle repair shop moved into the former D&T Shirtified location.
Gitt Electrical moved from 424 E. First St. to 335 N. Park Ave.
Habitat for Humanity moved its Home Store to 640 E. 32nd St., a larger area than its previous location at 338 W. 22nd St.
All Metals Market Inc. followed its largest expansion ever in 2011 with construction this year of a 30,000-square-foot shipping building.
Natura Pet Products early in the year finished up it $10 million “high tower project” expansion, moved toward further expansion by acquiring from the city the former Izaak Walton shooting range south of Natura and 25 additional acres north of the plant, and announced plans to double the size of its health and nutrition site in Fremont.
The city received a $350,000 downtown revitalization grant from the Nebraska Department of Economic Development that is spurring façade and building improvements in the downtown area with forgivable five-year loans. The city approved funding for 13 different projects, with participating businesses fronting more than $358,183 of their own money.Several restaurants changed hands this year. Kevin Meyer purchased The Office Bar and Grill in Hooper, David Bird bought the Rawhide Steak House in North Bend, and Bill and Collene Baumann opened Bella’s Broad Street Diner at 515 N. Broad St., the former Scotty’s Broad Street Diner.
Dan and Nicole Gillis purchased the former Lakeside Grille at Victory Lake, renamed it The Tow Line, remodeled and expanded the menu to reflect a bar and grill setting.
Village Inn and Franky and Olys underwent remodeling projects.
Article courtesey of The Fremont Tribune